SATURDAY, DECEMBER 10th – 1PM – 3PM @ WEATHERFORD FUSTAL FACILITY
WSC & TOPSoccer Program 2022
Hi, Weaterford Soccer Club Members! My name is Melissa Jarvis, M.E.d. and I’m working with the WSC and US Youth Soccer to bring an awesome program, TOPSoccer, to Western Oklahoma. Advertising will start soon, but before it does, I’d like to start recruiting volunteers for our first ever event on Dec 10th.
This event will take place in the new futsal facility. The first session is a coaching clinic that will run from 9 AM to 12 PM. Anyone even remotely interested in coaching with TOPS once this program is up and running is encouraged to attend. Then the big fun happens; from 1 PM to 3 PM we will have our first player/parent event. This is where we will invite kids and adults with intellectual and/or physical disabilities to come out and experience a fun soccer clinic. I will need volunteers for this event in order to make it work. Volunteers will serve as a buddy to a person with special needs throughout the two hour clinic. All they have to do is wear a smile and encourage their new friend. I thought this might make a great service project for your players/teams, and it might spark an interest in additional volunteer opportunities through the TOPSoccer program as it develops.
US Youth Soccer TOPSoccer (The Outreach Program for Soccer) is a recreational sports program for children and adults with intellectual, emotional, or physical disabilities offered only through local US Youth Soccer-affiliated soccer clubs. TOPSoccer provides people with diverse abilities an opportunity to play soccer in a structured environment that is safe, fun, supportive, and inclusive.
Benefits for Participants
- SOCIAL SKILLS – Players interact with their volunteer Buddy and other athletes in a fun, group setting and learn proper social behaviors.
- TEAMWORK – Players learn to trust someone else and rely on them through soccer activities and games.
- PERSEVERANCE – Players might encounter difficulties with activities, but they will be encouraged to keep trying and overcome challenges.
- CONFIDENCE – Players will achieve success on the field that carries over to their lives off the field in so many ways!
Differentiators of TOPSoccer
- Buddies: Each participant is assigned a volunteer, trained ‘Buddy’ who is typically a little older and neurotypical. This Buddy works with their player individually and makes sure they are safe, engaged, supported, and having fun. The player-Buddy relationship is maintained throughout the course of a season, resulting in strong interpersonal bonds and an establishment of trust and confidence that allows each player to achieve their full potential.
- Coaches: TOPSoccer coaches and administrators have taken formal USYS education and certification training that assists them in successfully delivering the program. In addition to providing coaching strategies and tactics specifically for children with special needs, the training identifies the traits of the most common disabilities and provides guidance on how to modify typical soccer practice activities so everyone can be successful.
- Groupings: Players are grouped by ability, not just age, such that they can develop at their own pace and participate amongst others with similar abilities.
Why do we need a TOPSoccer Program?
TOPSoccer was formed to perpetuate the US Youth Soccer mission statement which is, in part, “to foster the physical, mental and emotional growth and development of America’s youth through the sport of soccer at all levels of age and competition.” There are thousands of children with disabilities who need and can be provided with, the opportunity to play soccer through the TOPSoccer program.